Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Prairie Fire 5k {recap}

Let's back up to Friday night.
I got home from work, immediately drained thinking about the 6 page final paper due for my Saturday morning class. ouch. but then I remember that I've scheduled a run with my dad. I didn't want to give up this run, because it was the last run before our race on Sunday morning. I decided I would just sacrifice some extra sleep writing my paper.

So, we go back to our "roots" (the path where we first started training) and it was the best run we've (I've) had to date. I only stopped once in the 3 miles and just felt really confident that I would be able to run the whole 3.1 miles on Suday.

Then...Saturday evening struck and Bradley was inconsolable. Seriously, crying nonstop which is so NOT like him. I was getting worried about him. Luckily, one of Jordan's colleagues is a pediatrician and was able to look him over. Turns out, it was just a tummy ache and gas (new mom probs), but it caused him to be uncomfortable all night; he was waking up every hour or so=no sleep for mama.

I woke up Sunday morning and immediately reached for my phone. Oh F$%*$#^&^* I overslept!!!!! I was scrambling all over the house getting my stuff together to leave for the race (Whyyyy I didn't do this the night before I'll never know!) I got to my parent's and we headed downtown to find parking. I ate a banana and a FiberPlus protein bar on the way. Of course it was super busy, but we were able to find parking.  I'm also glad my mom was able to stay with Bradley while I ran as Jordan was still at work by this time.
My Dad and I before the 5k

As we were walking towards our start line, the half-marathoners ran past us which was a huge motivator. The atmosphere was really uplifting and I was able to let go of any negativity I was holding on to (I was tired, I felt rushed and the weather was terrible). We got in line with about 10 minutes to spare. I stretched and people watched. We lined up near the back as I didn't want to be trampled by the hardcore runners.

The race started and we got into a good pace. I was worried that I would start off too quickly like I did at my last 5k, but that didn't happen. We kind of migrated to the outer edges of the trail. The first mile felt like it went very quickly, but there was a point where I was like, "where the f$%&%$ is the 2nd mile?!?!" The trail was through a residential so it was extremely boring sight seeing. A few points through the race we crossed paths with the half-marathoners which was awesome. From mile 2 to mile 3 went rather quickly as well and before we knew it, we were done!
Our official time was 43:39 so averaging a little over 14 minutes per mile. I feel like that is a good starting point. Definitely not ideal, but I've never claimed to be a runner. I'm just trying the best I can. and..my goal was acheived! I ran (jogged) the whole time.

We've signed up for 2 more races..June 8th and June 23rd. I'm determined to start liking running.


Samantha~ said...

Sounds like you did an awesome job lady! I am so proud of you for running the whole time. That is a goal I have yet to accomplish. Guess I should pick shorter races, huh?

Even with all the odds stacked against you, you killed it!! Can't wait to see you blow the next one out of the water.

Lynsey said...

Good job on getting there and not letting the morning's events get in your head too much. Great job running the whole thing.