Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hypothyroidism: I hate you.

So, I posted here about when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism around October 2009. I started taking 50mg of Synthroid regularly. I started my weight loss journey in January 2010 and was losing 1-2lbs a week and feeling great. Around May 2010 is when I really started focusing on the whole exercise bit and had soo much energy; it was amazing.

 In June 2010 my doctor stopped practicing and I had switched insurances. I honestly felt like I was "cured" of my thyroid disease, because I felt energetic and was losing weight, so I stopped taking my medication. Throughout the summer, I was still losing weight, but right around September/October is when I started feeling weird..my weight loss was at a stand still and I was having a harder and harder time getting motivated about anything. I blamed it on the change of weather and all my sinus issues/holidays/stress and any other excuse, but secretly I knew I should probably get back on my thyroid medication. 

In the last few weeks with a lot of encouragement from my husband and dad, I found a new PCP who was accepting new patients, had all my medical records switched over to that office and made an appointment. I went on Friday and talked to him about where I was, how I felt, etc. Since I've been off the medication I've lost 8 pounds total. When I was on the medication is when I lost my 36lbs. After taking my blood work and reading my results he asked me how I was even functioning. My TSH was at a 12..keep in mind I believe the normal range is .5-5. So, back on Synthroid I go. I started taking it today and will be taking it regularly..probably my whole life. I will keep you updated on how it goes and how I'm feeling :o)

No comments: