Monday, March 7, 2011

Running with Dad {week1 recap}

Last week I blogged about how my Dad and I are going to start running to train for a 10k. The 10k is scheduled for June 4th so we started training this weekend to get our booties in gear.
Saturday- It was sooo freezing cold! We met up at the bike trail at 9am and stretched and started running. It was about 19 degrees out with a strong wind that made it feel even colder! I literally had tears and snot running down my face. Not pretty at all. Anyway, I would say we ran about 3/4 of a mile, turned around and ran back. The run back was better as we were not running into the wind. By the end of it, I almost felt like "that's it?!" but it was a good thing we took the first day slower because by mid afternoon I could already feel my shins and legs becoming sore.
{NOT me..ha}

Sunday- We met at the same time 9am (this is hard for me to do on the weekends ha) and this time took the run even further. I'd say..2 miles down and 2 miles back, but we didn't really track it so my estimations may be way off. This time I dressed warmer with a stocking cap and gloves. NOT a good idea. By the last few minutes of my run I was burning up! I know that is a good thing=calories burned, but as soon as I took off my stocking cap I felt the wind blow through my hair (cheesy, I know) and I just felt so much more refreshed. My dad is already running circles around me, but I know I'll be able to pick up the pace and be able to push myself harder next week.

My plan is to do the Couch to 5k program at the gym on the treadmill during the week and then just keep working on my distance running on the weekends with my dad. I think this will help me stamina for sure. Have a great week!

No comments: