Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Words of wisdom

Alrighty, I never really thought I'd say this, but I'm just going to go ahead and share this: I REGRET not getting to my goal weight before becoming pregnant. NOT that I regret my pregnancy at all but seriously? I feel like my body is breaking down!
I'm 3 days away from turning 35 weeks pregnant and I've gained 37 pounds now. The whole gaining weight part has been the worst part of being pregnant. If you read my last post you'll understand that I feel very blessed that I'm pregnant, so don't get me wrong. I just feel like maybe, just maybe, If I would have started my pregnancy at a lower weight, I wouldn't be so uncomfortable now. Here are some issues I'm facing in the final weeks of my pregnancy:
  • joint stiffness
  • heartburn
  • restless nights
  • lower back pain
  • Constantly out of breath
Of course, I'm sure those are just pains of pregnancy in general, but I know that being overweight has not helped at all. So, words of the wise, lose the weight FIRST then get pregnant.
I'm so anxious to have my sweet baby and get back on the weight loss bandwagon. I will do a post soon on my post pregnancy plans! Happy hump day :)

5 comments:

Ann said...

I posted about wanting to lose weight before trying to get pregnant yesterday... Weird! Yes, statistically, I feel like it's SO MUCH HEALTHIER for me + baby to be living a healthy lifestyle before I try and get pregnant. Thanks for your insight!!

:Deliciously Healthy said...

Not the post I wanted, lol ;D

As I'm sure you know I've been wanting/trying to get pregnant for a while. We/I put trying to get pregnant off, so I can get to my goal weight (or at least 10 pounds away from it). It's a hard decision, since I want to be a mother so incredibly bad. Sometimes I wonder if it's a selfish decision- especially since my hubby prays every night for a baby. Lately I've been thinking about changing my mind, even though I'm 60 pounds away from my goal.

Thanks for the post, and your honesty. It may not be what I wanted to hear, but I needed to hear it. It motivates me even more to stop playing around, and lose this weight!

You look amazing!

Mama E said...

Honey, you need to STOP looking at the scale. If you have one at home, tell your husband to hide it. At the doctor, weigh backwards and tell the nurse you prefer not to know. I had to do this with my first pregnancy because the weight gain was eating me UP!! It was making me miserable and I instead of focusing on the joy and miracle of growing this LIFE inside me, I was worried about the number on the scale. Just tell your doctor to let you know if you've gained too much, or too little and other than that, you don't want to know.

The second time I was pregnant, I did that from the beginning. Not only did I not obsess over my weight, but I gained about 20 lbs less the second time around because I just didn't focus on it as much.

Please take my advice to heart. Please consider just putting the numbers aside for the next couple of months as you finish your pregnancy. You will have that baby before you know it and will really, really miss being pregnant!

Fit Mom said...

I know it is hard seeing the number on the scale go up because you are pregnant because you have the current mentality to have the number go down, BUT a lot of the symptoms that you have are due to just being pregnant. You dont have pre-eclampsia, high blood pressure or gestational diabetes. THOSE are major symptoms you get when you are overweight and pregnant. So just relax and enjoy! :)

Angie said...

Absolutely those are just symptoms of pregnancy. It doesn't matter what weight you are. Don't worry! These last few weeks are tough already and you don't need to have added stress. You have the rest of your life to worry about that.